I can't deny that things have been a little bumpy this week as well. I'm a self-declared HSP (highly sensitive person), and I'm also a media junkie, so living in Canada, and in Winnipeg in particular, has been trying as of late.
I find that it's a constant struggle to stay informed without becoming overwhelmed with emotions. I know that I haven't yet found the right balance, and I quite possibly never will. Although maybe that's the point. I think we're supposed to be thrown off balance by tragic events - we shouldn't be immune to them.
And I'm thankful for this process of mining my week to remember the good things that got me through. So without further ado...
Out the window: Sadly, my annuals have now been transferred to the compost bin and all of the paraphernalia from my outdoor deck space is packed away. The frosty nights are just arriving, and now I'm ready for them.
On the menu: I tend to go through weird phases in my eating habits where I crave one particular food for an extended period. A while ago it was perogies. Then cinnamon raisin bagels. Right now, it's chicken fingers with honey dill sauce. (As I've written about before, honey dill sauce is a Winnipeg thing. Apparently, everywhere else on earth, chicken fingers are served with plum sauce. Odd, that.) Does anyone else experience food phases, or is it just me?
"God, Charlotte, I'm sorry." She clamps her hand down on my arm too tightly. "I shouldn't be having these conversations with you, when I'm getting married and you're getting... going... what you're doing... through." That's kind of the best thing I've ever heard. That's exactly what it feels like. I'm getting going what I'm doing through."
Watching: This video from San Francisco design firm Bot & Dolly, entitled Box, uses robotics and projection-mapping technology to "create an augmented digital reality." I'm not even sure exactly what that means, but the end result is enjoyably mesmerizing.
This week's Words of the Day:
- gnomon - noun - the rod or pin etc. on a sundial that shows the time by the position of its shadow.
- pinole - noun - flour made from parched cornflour, especially mixed with sweet flour made of mesquite beans, sugar, etc.
- formication - noun - a sensation as of ants crawling over the skin.
- altazimuth - noun - an instrument for measuring the altitude and azimuth of celestial bodies.
- lickerish - adjective (archaic) - 1. lecherous 2. fond of fine food
Out and About:
- Funny photos of squirrels with miniature objects
- A perfect letter to the editor
- Nishi Chauhan upcycles old bottles to make customizable animal lamps
- A whimsical translation
- Here's what happens when you put instant film in the microwave
- The BBC announces Tree of the Year finalists
- Some fascinating mixed-media art pieces
- Gaelle Villedary's green carpet rolls through provincial town in Southern France
- Painting faces in the forest
That's all for this week.