Out the window: We received some much-needed rain last night... we just got a bit too much all at once. Some streets and businesses were flooded - and some jokers even Tweeted photos of people canoeing and snorkelling in the middle of the street. When it rains... it pours.
On the menu: BLTs, made with my dad's homegrown tomatoes. This is the one time of year when I buy bacon - 'tis the season, and I let myself indulge.
This week's Words of the Day:
- fluviatile - adjective - of, found in, or produced by a river or rivers.
- parturient - adjective - about to give birth.
- collywobbles - plural noun - informal - 1. a rumbling or pain in the stomach. 2. a feeling of strong apprehension.
- alliaceous - adjective - 1. of or relating to the genus Allium, including onions, garlic, and leeks. 2. tasting or smelling like onion or garlic
- rubicund - adjective - (of a face, complexion, or person in these respects) ruddy, high-coloured.
Out and About:
- It was a sad week in Winnipeg, as we lost two members of our Aboriginal community, both to horrible circumstances. You can read more about the story here, and here, but I also want to highlight the work of local artist KC Adams, who has done a photography series called "Perception," in an attempt to combat the negative stereotypes and labels attributed to the Indigenous people of Winnipeg.
- Bears acting human
- "Six Ways my Brain Stops Me from Creating - and How I'm Fighting Back"
- Lip art by makeup artist Laura Jenkinson
- This Is Your Brain on Writing
- What is the food world coming to? Bacon bowls and root beer milk. (With credit to Steven.)
- An image regarding the reporting from Ferguson, MO and a brilliant piece from John Oliver on the militarization of the police in the US
- Failure, Writing's Constant Companion
- Whimsical illustrations merge with everyday objects
That's all for this week.